The News Review:
- Arthur Right on Time for Atlantic Hurricane Season
- Tornado hits Poconos; Philly nears heat wave
- Reported tornado downs trees utility poles in Western Md.
- Critics of placing NBAF in Kansas cite tornado danger
Arthur Right on Time for Atlantic Hurricane Season
San Francisco Chronicle
tmpl –> The first named storm of the 2008 Atlantic season came almost directly on time with June 1 representing the official start of the hurricane season. Arthur is still dangerous threatening 10-15 inches of rain flooding and landslides across parts of Mexico and Guatemala. The next tropical storm to form will be named Bertha. The forecast from the government’s Climate Prediction Center says it’s likely that 2008 will be an active year for hurricanes in the Atlantic basin which includes the Caribbean. For gamblers there’s a 65% probability that we’ll see an above-average storm season a 25% chance it will be average and just 10% that it will be below average.
Tornado hits Poconos; Philly nears heat wave
place_ad_here(“half”); Posted on Thu Jul. 30 2009 Tornado hits Poconos; Philly nears heat wave By Peter MuchaInquirer Staff Writer The stretch of hot humid volatile weather is expected to continue through the weekend – and we could have the first "heat wave" of the summer if the temperature hits 90 today. In the Poconos yesterday afternoon a tornado in Monroe County caused major damage destroying several farm buildings and blowing the roofs off two houses – just three days after a funnel cloud toppled trees and knocked out power in Upper Bucks County. "Ping pong size hail" – about 1. 5 inches in diameter – was reported around noon yesterday in Upper Providence Township. Last evening trees and wires were downed in several parts of South Jersey including Chesilhurst in Camden County Willingboro and Tabernacle in Burlington County Vineland in Cumberland County and Buena in Atlantic County. More thunderstorms are in the forecast for every day through Tuesday.
Reported tornado downs trees utility poles in Western Md.
Allegany County emergency services director Richard DeVore said no injuries were reported from the storm but some buildings may have been damaged. The National Weather Service said radar indicated a tornado moving northeast through the sparsely populated region shortly after 3 p. DeVore said an eyewitness claims to have seen a funnel cloud. A tornado warning was in effect in the area from 3:05 p.
Related from Yptulsa: Nearly 200 without power in north Tulsa after collision
Critics of placing NBAF in Kansas cite tornado danger
Lawrence Journal World
has been selected by the Department of Homeland Security for the $650 million National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility which will be used to research dangerous and infectious pathogens. But Texas officials who wanted NBAF built in San Antonio have said Kansas? tornadoes would make the lab unsafe. The fact is: Both Manhattan in Riley County and San Antonio in Bexar County have seen tornadoes.